[OSM-talk] Storing extensive notes on points of interest in OSM?

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 00:28:58 GMT 2007

On Dec 4, 2007 11:53 PM, Nick Whitelegg <nick at hogweed.org> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> One thing I'd like to do on Freemap (and have already implemented the code to
> do) is to display information about a point of interest, such as a village,
> pub or peak, when the user clicks on it. You can get an idea of the sort of
> thing I mean by going to Freemap (http://www.free-map.org.uk) and clicking on
> a village or hill; at the moment, all that comes up is a panel on the left
> hand side which links to that POI's Wikipedia article (if any). However what
> I'd like to do is to display notes about that POI.
>
> Do people think this information (e.g. description of a pub, or a hill) should
> go in OSM itself (there'd probably have to be some other tag besides "note",
> as note is usually used for surveying notes) or should another database be
> set up, which links to OSM via OSM IDs?

I think you should stick everything in the main db. If it's
site-specific, or especially subjective, maybe you should use a
namespaced tag (for example, I'm using gravitystorm_todo for anything
I jolly well please!) so that nobody's feet get trodden apon.

If you're thinking about other people using your information (and from
the API you've announced recently I think you're keen on reuse) then
you want to lower the barrier of reuse as much as possible, so I'd say
stick it all in the main db.

Cheers,
Andy