[OSM-talk] Storing extensive notes on points of interest in OSM?

Nick Whitelegg nick at hogweed.org
Tue Dec 4 23:53:40 GMT 2007

Hello everyone,

One thing I'd like to do on Freemap (and have already implemented the code to
do) is to display information about a point of interest, such as a village,
pub or peak, when the user clicks on it. You can get an idea of the sort of
thing I mean by going to Freemap (http://www.free-map.org.uk) and clicking on
a village or hill; at the moment, all that comes up is a panel on the left
hand side which links to that POI's Wikipedia article (if any). However what
I'd like to do is to display notes about that POI.

Do people think this information (e.g. description of a pub, or a hill) should
go in OSM itself (there'd probably have to be some other tag besides "note",
as note is usually used for surveying notes) or should another database be
set up, which links to OSM via OSM IDs?

Thanks,
Nick