[OSM-talk] State of JOSM

Chris Hill chillly809 at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Dec 9 11:50:01 GMT 2007

 Ray Booysen wrote:
>Hey guys

 >Ever since 0.5 was released, it seems the usability of JOSM has taken quite a dive.  I've noticed an item on the JOSM trac about this and I've >come to a point now where I'm not doing any OSM mapping because of how unusable JOSM has become.  Instead of the easy to use >interface of adding nodes, then segments and then ways, you're now constrained to just adding nodes with ways being drawn for you >between them.  This problem comes to a head when coming to the end of a road, no obvious way of stopping the next node placement to add >a way between the previous nodes.

if you hold down ALT as you create the next node it creates a new way.

 >What are everyone else's thoughts on the matter?  I would prefer JOSM to act the way it did before just without an add segments option, it >would mean an easier method (for me at least) of adding data.

 >Regards

 >Ray

In general I think it's just different, which needed a little thought, but it's not a step back.  Losing segments is a very good thing - it removes an unnecessary layer from the data model and JOSM has responded well to that.

Chris