[OSM-talk] osm2shp or osm2pgsql

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 12:28:38 GMT 2007

On Dec 11, 2007 12:35 PM, The Bun <rosario.carbone at ipl.com> wrote:
> What is more needed for me now actually are raster data which don't loose
> quality when the user zoom in. I tried creating an SVG file with xmlstarlet
> and converting finally into a TIF/TIFF file and it is perfect but when you
> zoom in the quality is very get worse and worse.

That's impossible. Any raster data is by definition of finite
resolution, so as you zoom in the quality by definition degrades.

> The point is I'd like to host the OSM data instead of using the "tah" server
> but I can't find an easy way with an accettable quality.
> I understood I should download the tiles for different zooming levels and
> implement somehow myself a cache / tiles web engine, correct?

Either store the whole thing as vector data, which will maintain
quality no matter what zoom. Or render at multiple zooms and cache
just like tiles at home and mapnik do...

For mapnik the keywords are postgis and tilecache. There are a number
of tutorials around.

Have a nice day,