[OSM-talk] osm2shp or osm2pgsql

The Bun rosario.carbone at ipl.com
Tue Dec 11 13:09:45 GMT 2007

Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> On Dec 11, 2007 12:35 PM, The Bun <rosario.carbone at ipl.com> wrote:
>> The point is I'd like to host the OSM data instead of using the "tah"
>> server but I can't find an easy way with an accettable quality.
>> I understood I should download the tiles for different zooming levels
>> and implement somehow myself a cache / tiles web engine, correct?
>
> Either store the whole thing as vector data, which will maintain
> quality no matter what zoom. Or render at multiple zooms and cache
> just like tiles at home and mapnik do...

Hi Martjin.
Right, that was the reason I translated osm to shape files but the
graphic quality is not good, I don't need any geo-process on the base
Layers so I am happy to render raster tiles.
I investigated Osmarender/Tiles at Home as I am actually only working with
Windows, for now,
though the final application will be on Linux or Unix.

I have just discovered how to get tiles from OSM but I can't find anything
on how
to render these tiles in a web application through an API like OpenLayers
for example.
I am missing all the server architecture.

For OpenLayers I have seen in some examples that "tile.php" seems to do the
job but I can't find it.
I have no problem I can use a database though I'd prefer to avoid and handle
just images as files.
I'd like to understand what are other people hosting experiences:
  1) Where the tiles have to live?
  2) How to access them?
  3) It is possible to see some code which handle the cache and the tiles
logic.

> For mapnik the keywords are postgis and tilecache. There are a number
> of tutorials around.
>
> Have a nice day,

I have used tilecache in the past with WMS and MapServer and OpenLayers, I
haven't used mapnik because I read that it was possible to use
Osmarender/Tiles at Home alternatively as well and because I am prototyping on
Windows. Anyway I can't find any tutorials, can you send me a link, please?
I read "Tiles at home/Server install guide" but to be honest I didn't
understand how to use it all that software after installed :-(.

Cheers,
Rosario