[OSM-talk] disputed territories

Gervase Markham gerv-gmane at gerv.net
Fri Dec 14 09:30:05 GMT 2007

Hakan Tandogan wrote:
> At least in the case of Cyprus, I'm observing that one of the guys
> repeatedly removed the name:<language> tags. I don't know whether this
> is intentional or because of some restriction of Potlatch, but the edit
> war is still ongoing there :-(

Assuming this isn't a technical issue, then IMO this is unacceptable.

How about a rule (social or technical) which says that one is not
permitted to remove name:language tags? You can change them to be more
accurate, but removing them entirely is not allowed. This is on the
basis that each language group has control over what a place is called
in their language, and other people shouldn't be able to mess with that,
even if they don't like the name.

That at least reduces the scope to the question of the untagged
attribute and the default rendering.

What sanctions do we have against people who destroy data like this?
Account disablement? Can't they just create a new one?

Gerv