[OSM-talk] disputed territories

Tony Bowden tony at tmtm.com
Fri Dec 14 11:50:03 GMT 2007

Gervase Markham wrote:
> :-P Better suggestions for wording welcomed. "Up to the level of a
> national government"?

This seems a little weird, possibly as it's the opposite of the 'normal'
default, which is to prefer the smaller scope to the larger (e.g. North
Cyprus).

> I think what we want to capture is that the competency of the EU does
> not (yet) extend to being able to make binding statements about what a
> particular town or region should be called.

http://news.scotsman.com/ViewArticle.aspx?articleid=2614789

It's been a while since I studied EC law, and I'm far from expert on the
subject, but I don't see why, in theory, the EU couldn't do that. In
practice it would likely cause an outcry, etc, but AIUI the EU could
merrily issue a directive forcing countries to ensure that, for example,
no local city, town or village can have the same name as any other EU
country's capital city.

Tony