[OSM-talk] [Talk-GB] "Unsurfaced road" and "Byway"?

Ulf Lamping ulf.lamping at web.de
Mon Dec 17 23:11:42 GMT 2007

Andy Allan schrieb:
> Sorry, I don't want anyone to think I was trying to disregard the
> efforts being put in to the proposed features process (and I've
> thanked people on these lists in the past for their work in this
> area). I think the process should be focussed on the *discussion* of
> new tags, not on the voting,
The voting gives a much better understanding if this proposal is
actually good or not. If a lot of people disagree, it's probably not
that good.
> and I think it's *a* useful process, so
> long as people don't consider it to being the *only* available
> process.

I would be perfectly happy if someone would come up with an easy way to
get an idea about tags often used that are not part of the map features
page. However, simply because it's often used unfortunately doesn't mean
it's a good tag per se - e.g. a slightly different tag might be much
better international recognizable.

Tagwatch is a start for such a way - I had a slight look at it, but
didn't found "inspiration for new tags". BTW: I saw a lot of misspelled
tags.
> >From wiki discussions (amenity vs shop) through rendering-driven
> tagging (regional cycle routes)  through one guy heroically and
> singlehandedly tagging lumps of carved wood around the countryside
> (ncn mileposts) there's different ways ways to do things and different
> ways suit different people.

That's fine until actually someone else wants to use that data. So we
might get here: ncn_mileposts, rcn_mileposts, adfc_mileposts, ... or
whatever else - again a pletora of different tags with the same meaning
but only complicated to work with.

Regards, ULFL