[OSM-talk] [Talk-GB] "Unsurfaced road" and "Byway"?

J.D. Schmidt jdsmobile at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 23:16:27 GMT 2007

Ulf Lamping skrev:

> P.S: Yes, the proposal process can be annoying sometimes. But I think it
> actually speeds up OSM things, as a lot of the disputes can be quickly
> resolved in the proposal stage.

The fact is, that there isn't anything that really is approved. One of
the strengths of OSM, is that you can tag items that you create, with
keys and values that you and you alone have decided names on, and which
you, and you alone ever will be using for whatever purpose that you want.

The tags on the Map_Feature page, are a selection of tags, that's
suggested and recommended you use, ESPECIALLY if you want the items you
created and put into the OSM dataset, to appear on one of the map layers
rendered on the OSM website.

There is NO demand what-so-ever, that you use these tags. You could tag
a road you put into the db, with
"k=strassennamefürulflampingsgrossmutterserinderungsbuch v=der strasse
wo ich im jahr 1987 haben meine rechter bein gebruchen", and it would be
perfectly allowable, and a valid tag.

The road would ofcourse not be rendered on the default layers used on
the OSM webmap, but if you forinstance made a osmarender stylesheet,
that looked for these tags, and rendered them in a polkadotted big fat
brown line, with red spots, the tag has shown its value for you.

So any tags on the Map_Feature page, are just a community arrived
Suggestion and recommendation. They are not a mandatory set of tags to
apply to data put into the OSM database.

And this is the way it should be IMHO.

Dutch