[OSM-talk] [Talk-GB] "Unsurfaced road" and "Byway"?

Ulf Lamping ulf.lamping at web.de
Mon Dec 17 23:37:09 GMT 2007

J.D. Schmidt schrieb:
> Ulf Lamping skrev:
>>
>> P.S: Yes, the proposal process can be annoying sometimes. But I think
>> it actually speeds up OSM things, as a lot of the disputes can be
>> quickly resolved in the proposal stage.
>>

> The fact is, that there isn't anything that really is approved. One of
> the strengths of OSM, is that you can tag items that you create, with
> keys and values that you and you alone have decided names on, and
> which you, and you alone ever will be using for whatever purpose that
> you want.
>
> The tags on the Map_Feature page, are a selection of tags, that's
> suggested and recommended you use, ESPECIALLY if you want the items
> you created and put into the OSM dataset, to appear on one of the map
> layers rendered on the OSM website.
>
> There is NO demand what-so-ever, that you use these tags. You could
> tag a road you put into the db, with
> "k=strassennamefürulflampingsgrossmutterserinderungsbuch v=der strasse
> wo ich im jahr 1987 haben meine rechter bein gebruchen", and it would
> be perfectly allowable, and a valid tag.
>
> The road would ofcourse not be rendered on the default layers used on
> the OSM webmap, but if you forinstance made a osmarender stylesheet,
> that looked for these tags, and rendered them in a polkadotted big fat
> brown line, with red spots, the tag has shown its value for you.
>
> So any tags on the Map_Feature page, are just a community arrived
> Suggestion and recommendation. They are not a mandatory set of tags to
> apply to data put into the OSM database.
>
> And this is the way it should be IMHO.
>
> Dutch

Hmmm, I don't dispute this and I really don't have a problem with it.
All I want to say is that having a good set of recommended tags will
make it much easier and faster for everyone to work with it.

BTW: I had a look at the tagwatch lists and I found no tag where I
thought that this could be a "private tag" like you mentioned. I
wouldn't even think about changing this, but you'll more often find
things like amenity=place_of_warship (no joke!), which I tend to fix ...

Regards, ULFL