[OSM-talk] Broken voting system (was "Unsurfaced road" and "Byway"?)

Nic Roets nroets at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 10:33:25 GMT 2007

> > So all is well now? "I got it rendered and I don't mind if anyone else
> > has a problem with it - or don't understand it" - you mean this kind of
> > solution?
>
> What's wrong with this? It's a Wiki, the others can change it.

It's like kernel.org abandoning coding standards and encouraging everyone
to reinvent "the wheel".

Without standards there's scope for disputes. Just look at wikipedia.

Our voting system is also a bit unique : It's like a government holding a
referendum on every single law that's being passed (And then noone shows
up). Can't we just appoint a few willing representatives (preferably trained
cartographers) to do the job ?

And technology must help us with "Soft enforcement". When I download an area
for editing, JOSM must automatically download the latest set of presets.