[OSM-talk] Render icons for parking areas

Jon Burgess jburgess777 at googlemail.com
Wed Dec 19 22:53:17 GMT 2007

On Tue, 2007-12-18 at 15:26 +0000, Tom Chance wrote:

> Agreed that this is an important distinction, and that your current
> method works with t at h (I do the same). But we should really tag them
> properly by adding something like "access=private/public" to:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Mapping/Features/Parking

It would be relatively straightforward to adjust the Mapnik code so that
the automatic 'P' would depend on the access= key. We'd need to decide
on the policy though:

- access=public => 'P'
- access=private => No 'P'

- access=permissive => ?
- access=[anything else]  => ?
- no access= key => ?

The Mapnik code ensures the centre of the 'P' is always within the area
even if it is an unusual shape.

Ideally we could also suppress the P if there was a manually placed node
within the area but that is a little more complex to implement.

	Jon