[OSM-talk] Render icons for parking areas

Jon Burgess jburgess777 at googlemail.com
Thu Dec 20 12:06:56 GMT 2007

On 20/12/2007, Andy Robinson (blackadder) <blackadderajr at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Jon Burgess wrote:
> >Sent: 19 December 2007 10:53 PM
> >To: Tom Chance
> >Cc: OSM Talk List; Abigail Brady
> >Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] Render icons for parking areas
> >

> >On Tue, 2007-12-18 at 15:26 +0000, Tom Chance wrote:
> >>
> >> Agreed that this is an important distinction, and that your current
> >> method works with t at h (I do the same). But we should really tag them
> >> properly by adding something like "access=private/public" to:
> >> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Mapping/Features/Parking
> >>
> >It would be relatively straightforward to adjust the Mapnik code so that
> >the automatic 'P' would depend on the access= key. We'd need to decide
> >on the policy though:
> >
> >- access=public => 'P'
> >- access=private => No 'P'
> >
> >- access=permissive => ?
> >- access=[anything else]  => ?
> >- no access= key => ?
> >

> Please lets not have too many difficult abbreviations. Much better that the
> data is clearly readable. Plain text ensures we don't ever need a dictionary
> to understand our tags.

I was not suggesting any abbreviations. I was trying to confer:
"If a node has an access=public then we should render a P symbol"
"If the nodes has access=private then we do not draw a P symbol"
"If a node has access=permissive then what do we do?"
"if a node has no access= tag then what do we do?"
etc

access=public/private/permissive are all listed on Map_Features, it
isn't clear whether permissive should imply a P symbol or not. The
code needs to handle the other cases too.

--
    Jon