[OSM-talk] Render icons for parking areas

Daniel Schmidt Daniel at planetschmidt.de
Thu Dec 20 12:41:50 GMT 2007

> access=public/private/permissive are all listed on Map_Features, it
> isn't clear whether permissive should imply a P symbol or not. The
> code needs to handle the other cases too.

In my understanding, an example for a "permissive" car park would be a
supermarket car park. It's a private car park which is publicly
accessible and you don't have to ask anyone for permission to park.
But you are only allowed to use this car park while shopping in that
particular market. As the usage of this car park is somehow restricted
I wouldn't display a 'P' symbol.

The only case where I would place this symbol is when you are allowed
to park your car and go whereever you want for a couple of hours.

So:
access=public => 'P'
access=private => no 'P'
access=permissive => no 'P'
access=[anything else] => no 'P'
no access => 'P' (as most of the current car parks in OSM are probably
public ones but don't have an "access" tag)

--
Wabba