[OSM-talk] Finding a particular street on the GPS

Patrick Weber p.weber at ucl.ac.uk
Fri Dec 21 19:34:47 GMT 2007

Lambertus wrote:

>Karl Newman wrote:
>

>>Actually, for the full-featured version that does everything with no
>>restrictions, it's USD2800... However, you can get free access to that
>>version online if you're willing to share your maps with the world.
>>It's at mapcenter.cgpsmapper.com The other complicating factor is that
>>there is currently no path from OSM data to cGPSMapper format. That's
>>a project I'm planning, but I need to get some key pieces in place
>>first. I actually rewrote the osmgarminmap XSLT stylesheet to
>>transform OSM data into routable cGPSMapper format, but xsltproc
>>chokes on even moderate-sized data (10 MB), so it's not usable.
>>
>>The other big factor is that there is no agreement on how to do
>>street/house numbers yet, so there's limited data in OSM anyway. I've
>>discussing the proposal on the Wiki recently and it's been a bit
>>frustrating because nobody seems to get my point.
>>

>I'm also working on creating Garmin maps (using Mkgmap). Mkgmap cannot
>create maps in the routable format so I'm looking also at cGPSMapper. I
>don't think the webservice is suitable for large scale routable map
>generation for OSM, so I'm trying to work out a solution that involves
>aquiring a full licence.
>
>Below is a rough idea:
>OSM, or a 3rd party (you, me?) setup a service that creates and
>distributes all sorts of Garmin maps (regular, topographic,
>cycle/outdoor centric, routable, etc.). This includes aquiring a full
>licence of cGPSMapper. Some maps could be free but others might require
>a donation or a subscription. The income generated by selling the more
>featured maps could be used to finance the license. Keeping the fees low
>should make the service attractive for lots of Garmin owners without
>driving them to create their own homebrew maps.

Definitely would be interested in getting routing to work with OSM Data
on my Garmin GPSMap60Csx. I recently tried to generate a IMG file with
mkgmap and failed miserably (using the UK extract).
If donations are needed for a license of cGPSmapper, I would be willing
to donate to the cause!

I like the test web IMG download interface Lambertus has done, it would
be great if this could be extended to the rest of Europe (and the
world), and if the IMG's behind could support routing.