[OSM-talk] Featured images for christmas week

Andy Robinson blackadderajr at googlemail.com
Sat Dec 22 02:43:31 GMT 2007

On 21/12/2007, Karl Newman <siliconfiend at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Dec 21, 2007 10:49 AM, Andy Robinson (blackadder)
> <blackadderajr at googlemail.com> wrote:
> > David James wrote:
> > >Sent: 21 December 2007 5:48 PM
> > >To: talk at openstreetmap.org
> > >Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] Featured images for christmas week

> > >1.81947&zoom=17&layers=0B

> > >I don't know whether to be impressed at the level of detail you've
> > >gathered, or depressed because of how small it makes my own efforts look
> > >... :-(
> >
> > Well, its my local area and since I started to map it in 2005 it shouldn't
> > be a surprise that I use it as a bit of a testing area. Some of the earliest
> > ways (sub 50 ID numbers) lurk in there.
> >

> > >One question - what's the source for the residential=building data (the
> > >rectangle-ish areas at the sides of the roads)?
> > >

> > It's a mixture of manual survey and artistic impression. The beginning and
> > end of each run of houses is easy to do by taking a photo of the boundary
> > position which when synchronised in JOSM to the GPX track gives you a pretty
> > accurate location. The setback from the road is guesswork and doesn't yet
> > sit right with the width of the road at every zoom level. The thickness
> > again is guesswork and where I'm trying to give an impression rather than
> > being precise. The same applies to the total run of the building, which in
> > most cases is actually semi detached or detached housing which should really
> > be drawn as individual blocks. Maybe in a couple of year's time I'll feel
> > like going to that extent! for now I'm just making a single continuous run
> > where there are only residential homes along the run. If something else
> > interjects I take a photo of it and tag appropriately.
> >
> > One the house number rendering works you will see I hope little numbers at
> > the start and end of each run of building. These are set on nodes within
> > each building area. I'm also recording the house number opposite a side
> > junction.
> >
> > I would say though that all of this is only really possible if you have
> > fully mapped out all the roads and other paths and tracks. I was surprised
> > how easy it is to gather the extra data. Doing it on foot, that's the only
> > reliable way of ascertaining the house number on each end of a block.
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > Andy
>
> AFAIK, there still isn't an approved way to tag house numbers yet.
> I've been discussing it on the Wiki. Maybe there is a method for
> individual buildings, though.
>
> Karl

We thrashed out ideas on th wiki the other day and decided upon the following:

The buiding areas are tagged with building=residential (or
building=whatever if its something else)

The nodes are also tagged with buidling=residential and have an
additional ref=# on them for the house number.

Will document this in Map Features if it looks to work out ok once rendered.

Cheers

Andy
--
Andy Robinson