[OSM-talk] Geolocation photos - what software/hardware do I need?

Karl Newman siliconfiend at gmail.com
Fri Dec 28 15:00:42 GMT 2007

On Dec 28, 2007 5:24 AM, Gregory <nomoregrapes at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm buying/getting a digital camera for my birthday/christmas. What would be
> really cool if I can start doing stuff with photos tagged with their
> lat/lon, but I'm unsure what exactly I need to do this easily.
>
> Are there any cameras out there that aren't incredibly expensive and have
> something that would work with my bluetooth GPS reciever? (or have a built
> in reciever?)
> Or do I just need some software that I can point to a folder of time stamped
> jpegs and add all the lat/lons from a gps log file? Where would I get such
> software that is free or worth paying for?

Getting your photos tagged directly in your camera is tricky. I heard
that HP owns the patent for it, but I've seen a couple camera models
out there that can do it (Ricoh 500SE for one). I think there are some
other cameras that can work with external GPS receivers, maybe
bluetooth. However, if it were me, I would focus on getting the best
camera first, and use software later to sync up the pictures. I've
heard good things about gPicSync (free software).

Karl