[OSM-talk] How to convert OSM into GML - examples needed

Nick Whitelegg Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk
Mon Feb 5 18:37:18 GMT 2007

>You can load planet.osm into postgresql/postgis with osm2pgsql.c
>Then read direclty into Grass or export to GML/KML/Shapefiles whatever
using
>PostGIS native functionality or ogr2ogr

You can also go straight from OSM to shapefile using osm2shp (in
subversion) - this generates one shapefile for nodes, one for ways and
with the latest version (not in SVN yet) one for areas. Then I'd imagine
you could easily convert the shapefile to GML using the ogr tools. You may
encounter problems if your ways are not ordered correctly, however -
though you can use the "wayclean" utility in SVN to correct some of the
problems.

Nick