[OSM-talk] Cartography meetup

Jochen Topf jochen at remote.org
Tue Feb 6 09:19:53 GMT 2007

On Tue, Feb 06, 2007 at 12:48:39AM +0000, SteveC wrote:
> I think it would be neat for the people who defined the map styles, the
> people who run the tile render machinery, and some Real Cartographers to
> sit down and improve the cartography of our maps.
>
> Lots has been done, but I think there's some room for improvement.
>
> I would suggest that we meet (in Oxford?) for a day. I think if we
> structure a day around each zoom level and what to show and how to show
> it we could achieve some kick-ass cartography.
>
> What you think? Is anyone up for hosting it?

I have been working on Osmarender quite a lot and am very interested in
improving map rendering. Currently our problems seem to stem more from
such basic things such as the data model, incomplete tag sets, missing
icons, battling with SVG etc. So things where a real cartographer could
help (like with choosing colors etc.) are not that important yet.

My personal priority for Osmarender is currently to get it to render all
the features that are commonly tagged in the database to help people
do proper tagging. Thats not the way to produce beautiful maps though,
because they get to overcrowded, so I personally have moved "beautiful
maps" somewhat to the back of the list, although I very much would like
to work on that.

But I agree that we should work on all these things and would love to
meet and discuss things and work together on improvements.

That beeing said, it doesn't make sense for me to come to England just
for a day. (I'd rather come for a week to improve work time to travel time
ratio, but I guess thats not an option for most people, and I don't
think I have that much time at the moment anyway, having been to London
just recently as you know :-)

Jochen