[OSM-talk] roundabouts, dev-nodes and copyright

Jochen Topf jochen at remote.org
Thu Feb 8 12:10:11 GMT 2007

On Thu, Feb 08, 2007 at 12:02:21PM +0100, Florian Loitsch wrote:
> three questions:
> - when roundabouts have names, should I use the name-tag of the way, or should
> I add another node to mark the location (or even an area-node)?
> Currently the renderers put the name on the road where it's nearly impossible
> to read (too curved). Personally I vote for putting the name into the
> name-tag, but change the renderers, but that's just my opinion.

What is an area-node?

Just put the name on the way. Adding another node doesn't help because
that node wouldn't be connected to the roundabout itself, so there is no
way for the computer to know that they belong together.

See here:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Mapping/Features/Roundabout

Jochen