[OSM-talk] landuse=urban

Tom Chance tom at acrewoods.net
Sat Feb 10 17:25:41 GMT 2007

Ahoy,

On Saturday 10 February 2007 13:07:25 Nick Whitelegg wrote:
> The problem is that you might not know what is what, also it's
> significantly more effort (could involve creating 50 areas rather than just
> one). If you're using Landsat imagery or Yahoo imagery outside of the
> high-resolution areas, you can easily tell what's urban and what isn't, but
> little more than that.

Oh right, so it's for areas that nobody has fully mapped yet, to give an
interim indication of what it is? Or would it also serve a purpose once an
area has been properly mapped with streets, basic amenities and landuse
areas? As David Earl pointed out, if you have all the streets well tagged you
already get an indication that it's urban, and if somebody has done the
landuse areas you get data that can be used at all zoom levels just to
show "this is a general urban area" as well as "this is a residential area
with a little retail bit at the top".

If it's an interim thing then I suppose it might be handy, although I think we
should really encourage people to map places properly.

Regards,
Tom

--
| Green Party Speaker on Intellecual Property and Free Software |
| http://tom.acrewoods.net    ::   http://www.greenparty.org.uk |