[OSM-talk] Osmarender4 slippy map (preview)

Jochen Topf jochen at remote.org
Sun Feb 11 09:21:01 GMT 2007

On Sun, Feb 11, 2007 at 09:09:11AM +0000, 80n wrote:
> >@Steve, I spoke to Jochen about the abutters thing and he said he
> >*thought* not to have touched them but I confirm what you are seeing.
> >But the abutters are (Jochen's words) a dark and murky area of
> >Osmarender, so let's just postpone this.
>

> Not so.  There is nothing special or different about abutters as far as
> Osmarender is concerned.  They are just a style controlled by a rule, just
> like everything else.  I would prefer it people started to use landuse tags
> in place of abutters though.  The results are much nicer and the precision
> much greater with landuse.  Abutters were just a crude way of doing shading
> in the days before we had areas.

Frederik wasn't quoting me correctly. The dark and murkey area I was
refering to was the butt-end vs. round-end stuff. This really concerns
all line features, not only abutters. Steves remark was about
butt-end/round-end stuff for abutters, so thats where the confusion comes
from.

And I very much agree that we should move to landuse instead of
abutters, but as long as it is so hard to have multiple ways on the same
nodes thats probably not going to happen.

Jochen