[OSM-talk] Osmarender4 slippy map (preview)

80n 80n80n at gmail.com
Sun Feb 11 09:09:11 GMT 2007

> Hi,
>
>     thank you for your input regarding the Osmarender4 slippy map. Since
> no major concerns have been voiced, the Osmarender4 version is now in
> SVN, and renderers can begin using it immediately.
>
> Releases up to 2092 were Osmarender3, Releases 2093 onwards are
> Osmarender4.
>
> See also: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Tiles%40home/Messages
>
> @David, I like your additions but I'd rather not force them upon
> everyone "through the back door" at this time - I think the planned
> Cartography Meetup should pose an excellent opportunity for people to
> decide what they want on the maps and how (or at least to decide upon a
> process that leads to decisions... ;-). The tiles affected can, once
> people decide what they want and how, easily be found out from the
> planet file and then re-rendered at any time.
>
> @80n, share your concerns about the post office/letter box thing. But
> frankly, the symbol used for both is rather ugly anyway, and I like how
> it cries out "please could somebody with a decent sense of beauty fix
> all the symbols" ;-)
>
> @Steve, I spoke to Jochen about the abutters thing and he said he
> *thought* not to have touched them but I confirm what you are seeing.
> But the abutters are (Jochen's words) a dark and murky area of
> Osmarender, so let's just postpone this.

Not so.  There is nothing special or different about abutters as far as
Osmarender is concerned.  They are just a style controlled by a rule, just
like everything else.  I would prefer it people started to use landuse tags
in place of abutters though.  The results are much nicer and the precision
much greater with landuse.  Abutters were just a crude way of doing shading
in the days before we had areas.

Note that tiles at home does not require a customized osmarender.xsl