[OSM-talk] Baghdad maps

Mike Collinson mike at ayeltd.biz
Thu Feb 15 02:09:48 GMT 2007

At 03:32 AM 15/02/2007, Paul Stimpson wrote:
>There are a number of other issues that IMHO merit discussion. I am
>informed that any road may have up to 4 names (which may be the same
>or different):
>
>     1) The pre-Saddam name
>     2) The Saddam-era name.
>     3) The "public" name - What the people who live there call it.
>     4) The "Official" name - What the new Government calls it.

The situation of having a public name and an official name is not
uncommon worldwide.  Here in Manila there are a number of main
arteries which are shown on all tourist maps an street gazetteers
with the "official" name but you'll get blank looks unless you use
the older "public" name.  So OSM can provide service here.  I wonder
if we are missing a "common_name" or "official_name" tag here? Just a
thought.  Currently I'm entering things like "Buendia (Senator Gil
Puyat Avenue)"

Mike
Manila