[OSM-talk] Residential areas

Ben Robbins ben_robbins_ at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 16 18:34:48 GMT 2007

Kristian:

>What does, in your opinion, distinguish a unclassified road from a
>residential road?

Thats already been answered.

>highway=residential describes the type of road. If
>there are parked cars, children playing on the street, light traffic
>and so on. It has no relation to abutters, and is different from
>highway=unclassified.

Phillip:

>But then you have to start drawing areas and adding landuse tags in
>addition to drawing the road. Extra work?

In what I originally said, no you wouldn't.  Residential doesn't just render
as a road.  it renders as road+abutters.  I was saying that either the
abutters should be removed from the rule sheet in that instance, or a
abutters none can be used where nessesery.  The later means not causing
inconvience to people that still relie on the road+abutters, although maybe
this can be slowely got rid of and the adding of both tags seperatly can be
incoraged.

This is the guidelines I use for tagging something as residential or
unclassifed.

A col-de-sac or dead end is residential (excluding deadends with no houses
on!)
A road leaning to other houseing estates would be unclassified.
A road going straight threw the vilalge is unclassified
A road that goes threw a village in a less straighter route than the main
threw road, and therfore has no threw traffic would be unclassiifed.

In short.  Any road that the traffic on only serves the residence of that
road or small set of roads is residential.  Anything else is unclassified or
other.

There is a realy difference between residential and unclassified, and in
living, and mapping an area where there almost the only 2 road tags I use, I
have throught a lot about it.

So.  My orignal proposal that I still think will be most beneficial is
abutters=none.  unless its desisded just to scrap the auto rendering of
abutters to residential.  I would discourage the latter as 2 tags is more
than 1, and it would take more tags to replace all the auto abutters with an
abutters tag, than it would to cancel them out in the few instances with
abutters=none.

Ben