[OSM-talk] Subway station vs. subway entrance

Joerg Ostertag (OSM Munich/Germany) openstreetmap at ostertag.name
Mon Feb 19 06:23:20 GMT 2007

On Sunday 18 February 2007 21:50, Guenther Meyer wrote:
> Am Sonntag 18 Februar 2007 13:43 schrieb Lester Caine:
> > You obviously don't have to deal with the underground complexes that are
> > modern underground/subway stations :(
>
> oh yes, I have to!
>
> but the problem is: what's the sense of a plan, if you don't know where you
> are. at least here in munich are plans hanging around in every station with
> a "you are here"-pin. if you have such a plan in your device or as a
> printed map, it won't be of any use.
>
> but if someone likes to tag this stuff, please go on. I won't.
> but then such information should be on a separate layer.

You shouldn't think of layers. Just given different views for different
purposes. If you're drawing a car-map none of the Underground stuff is really
relevant. If you're drawing a pedestrian map with zoomlevel above 5000 you
might add one underground sign. But if you have a pedestrian map with a
zoom-level below 1000 you might be pleased to see that this or that entry to
the underground station is hidden inside a shopping entry and almost cannot
be seen from outside. So I think it would be a really good idea to tag
everything with propper tags and let the rendering software only show those
tags which are relevant for this type of map.

--
Jörg (Germany, Munich)

http://www.ostertag.name/
TeamSpeak2: ts2.ostertag.name, user: tweety, Channel: "GPS Drive"
irc://irc.oftc.net/#osm
Tel.: +49 89 420950304