[OSM-talk] Subway station vs. subway entrance

Guenther Meyer d.s.e at sordidmusic.com
Mon Feb 19 08:00:41 GMT 2007

Am Montag 19 Februar 2007 07:48 schrieb Joerg Ostertag (OSM Munich/Germany):
> If you can use your eyes this might be an option. But some friends of mine
> are blind and don't have the possibility to see. For them a spoken
> navigation with precise details is really vital. Yes and I would also tag
> things like Pedestrian-crossing,
> Traffic-light-with-beeper-for-blind-people,
> park-bench, ... just because there are things i might be able to see, but
> others are not.

that's true, but with the usual variance of about 10 or more meters of
gps-receivers this is still a problem.

> > when you try do do it this way, you have to be consequent, and have to do
> > gps navigation in the subterranian areas of subway stations, shopping
> > malls, ... which is not possible.
>
> Well, there a two ways to do this. The simplest method is to count steps.
> which really works perfect. The little bit more technical solution would be
> to have a compass and one of those walking step counters. And the full
> technical solution would add one of these acceleration sensors to your
> system. But from my experiences the simple method of interpolating by just
> waling and drawing works almost perfect.

for mapping this is ok, but not for navigation. different people have
different step sizes, and you can't tell an exact absolute position with this
or accelereation sensors.

> Well, this is perfectly fine with me. The solution for others to get
> suitable map are those above mentioned views. You definitely need different
> views of the map if you:
> and there a definitely a dozen more views
a thing that should be done by the application, maybe defined by some standard
guidelines.
because someone using gpsdrive has other requirements than some slippy map or
printed map user.

> > you can't guide someone to his destination only by looking at the
> > map/navigation-device.
>
> For all my friends this is one thing I hope we can do one day. And I'm
> convinced we're able to do this.

you can't. remember the warning in every navigation device: "don't use for
navigation!". I myself almost hit several light poles while running around
geocaching and looking at my gps... :-)

> > if you like to do that, you have to tag also every
> > pole standing around...
>
> Oh by the way those small poles are not really a problem. For this purpose
> the do have there white cane ;-)
especially small poles can be a problem for your family jewels if you don't
notice them ;-)

> But think of yourself. wouldn't it be nice to place a pole in the middle of
> the street into the database. So you could see the in the map in advance.
> The blind people wouldn't care about this pole, because they just walk by.
> But what about you trying to drive through; I might be a little hazel ;-)

I thought of things like light poles and the like, which aren't interesting
for anyone. tagging real barriers on streets is important.