[OSM-talk] OSM > Shapefile and MySQL linkage, help.

Mon Feb 19 19:13:36 GMT 2007

GodSmurf wrote:

> If anyone could give me any pointers in how to change it to a
> shapefile
> using XP (Apache and all the things installed with MS4W 2.2.2) or
> let me
> know what I actually need and how to go about it all, I will be most
> grateful.

IMO you might be aiming too high at present. OSM is an evolving
project and a lot of the tools are (a) in their infancy (b) as yet,
aimed at a very tech-savvy developer audience. In addition, many of
the developers here use *nix of some sort (usually Linux, very
occasionally OS X) and are not so familiar with Windows.

It might be worthwhile for you to consider using prerendered OSM
tiles, rather than shapefile vector data.

FWIW, here's what I'd do: download planet.osm; put (some of) it in a
MySQL database using planetosm-to-db.pl; then directly query it using
a db backend which the Flash file could call.

cheers
Richard