[OSM-talk] OSM layer into Adobe Illustrator?

Barnett, Phillip Phillip.Barnett at itn.co.uk
Thu Feb 22 13:23:48 GMT 2007

In that case I'm wasting my time rendering an SVG, which I've just
finished doing. For the record, I'm not speaking on behalf of ITN, but
in my personal opinion, but there's no way we can touch this 'free' map.
I'm sure we'd be willing to display a CC-by SA logo, and the OSM URL,
but anything else would be IMPOSSIBLE for us to do onscreen - not least
listing each and every contributor!

If what you say is correct, it goes completely against the first
statement on OSM - I quote:

"OpenStreetMap is a project aimed squarely at creating and providing
free geographic data such as street maps to anyone who wants them. The
project was started because most maps you think of as free actually have
legal or technical restrictions on their use, holding back people from
using them in creative, productive or unexpected ways."
I particularly refer you to the jibe about 'holding people back from
using them in creative, productive or unexpected ways.'

I've just confidently pointed our graphics department at this source of
free, high quality data - now I'm going to have to go back to them and
say, 'er, sorry guys, I was mistaken - you can't use this data after
all.'

Anyone else want to clarify this before I go and grovel?

It's a shame, I thought it would be nice publicity for the project too.

Yours disappointedly

Phillip

PHILLIP BARNETT
SERVER MANAGER