[OSM-talk] [OSM-dev] Do any sat-navs log?

Freek van Walderveen freek_osm at vanwal.nl
Fri Feb 23 09:13:04 GMT 2007

Hi,

On Thursday 22 February 2007, Andy Robinson wrote:
> 3. An in car Sat Nav system is really only suitable for the car and not
> much else. Benefit of course is you will rarely get lost when driving. Some
> will log a track, but certainly not the majority. Also you have to watch
> that the log does not "snap" to the map. Normally this can be turned off
> though.

I am using a Navman N20 which has a half-hidden feature called "enable GPS
data logging" ("only to be used if required by Navman Customer Support"
according to the manual). This generates an NMEA log that is saved in the
internal memory, it can be downloaded to a PC later. It works quite well for
me, although I don't have other units to compare to.
The only problems I can think of are filesize (I don't know what happens when
the internal memory is full) and the lack of recording of waypoints.
Oh, and it's also usable when you're travelling by bike.

P.S. Should I put this on the wiki somewhere (especially where to find the
logs)?

--
Freek