[OSM-talk] [OSM-dev] Do any sat-navs log?

Andy Robinson Andy_J_Robinson at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Feb 23 09:33:34 GMT 2007

Barnett, Phillip [mailto:Phillip.Barnett at itn.co.uk] wrote:
>Sent: 23 February 2007 1:28 AM
>To: Andy Robinson; David Stevenson
>Cc: talk at openstreetmap.org
>Subject: RE: [OSM-talk] [OSM-dev] Do any sat-navs log?
>
>Good overview Andy.
>
>Couple of points -

Yes, thanks for picking up on these. Some clarification is needed.

>Garmin 'not good at nights'? What does that mean? I've never noticed mine
>needing daylight to operate...

The older units and of course those working on batteries rather than plugged
into the car battery for instance all of course rely on a backlight for
display at night. On B&W older versions this isn't very effective at all and
runs the batteries flat pdq.

Can anyone comment on the running time for the latest colour units in the
dark?

>Limited tracklogs on handhelds? Not any more. The modern Garmins (x series)
>have micro-SD cards, up to 2Gb, as I recall, which means even logging at
>one point a second, they are pretty much infinite capacity ( I think I
>worked out you could get a years worth of logs on one card)

Older Garmin units and those without any on-board storage card are generally
limited to 10,000 trackpoints. So if ideally mapping at 1 sec interval they
normally give you about 3 hours logging time ( a few points here and there
are not recorded hence usually a bit longer than the theoretical 2.78
hours.)

If money is no option then one of the modern Garmin C60csx's gives you just
about the works although its still a recreational handheld rather than a
satnav system.

>Oh, and Garmins can take OSM maps.

Yep, I have my Etrex Legend (B&W) only displaying OSM mapping :-)

Cheers

Andy

Andy Robinson