[OSM-talk] The segments vs ways vs superways question, again...

Dave osm.list at randomjunk.co.uk
Tue Jan 2 13:44:59 GMT 2007

> The use of the word "misordered" here is a bit provocative - ways are
> currently defined to be sets of segments with no defined order so
> "unordered" would be a bit more accurate.

No, ways are ordered lists of segments... what order is another matter
entirely, so misordered would be correct in terms of some expected order...
although it's entirely possibe the creator would disagree over whether it
was in fact misordered.

> I don't see why this needs to be complex.  For unordered linear
> features all you have to do is match up nodes at the ends of segments.

Well, they are ordered. And also possibly looped which adds some extra fun.
But yes, it should be possible to write an algorithm to do this, and as ways
are usually quite short most of the horrible n-squared issues that arise in
the general problem possibly aren't as relevant. Getting the "correct" or
"nice" ways a person might produce is a slightly more impossible task.

> More effort editing, especially if it comes without support or
> guidance from the editors seems like a really bad idea to me.

Yup, without editor support this is a non-starter.