[OSM-talk] Field Boundaries, was [OSM-dev] Field Boundaries and Yahoo! Maps

Andy Robinson Andy_J_Robinson at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Jan 13 15:28:20 GMT 2007

Ben Robbins wrote:
>Sent: 13 January 2007 2:47 PM
>To: talk at openstreetmap.org; Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk
>Subject: [OSM-talk] Field Boundaries,was [OSM-dev] Field Boundaries and
>Yahoo! Maps
>
>>boundary=field?
>
>Wouldn't it be the hedges, walls...etc that are tagged?
>
>I've added hedges and other field borders where I mapped, and have done so
>for a long time  I use border=hedge.  Its proposed, and I've tried to
>discuss it.  Border is a more open catagorie i felt, and other features can
>be added under that catagorie that wouldnt fit under boundary.  Its been
>proposed for quite some time.   There is a handful of discussions on the
>wiki that are progressing at snail pace.  I'm custom tagging regardless
>anyway.

I believe the tagging of boundary=field is appropriate from the Y! imagery
since there is no possibility from it to tell what the physical divider
between the fields comprises of. What is clearly visible from Y! is the
demarcation between crops which appears generally to reflect the limit of a
particular field.

Agreed, there is need for extension of tagging ideas for the countryside
generally, especially as the Y! imagery gives us so much more positional
data than can be gained with gps alone.

>If there is a disire to really sort out the array of faults that tagging
>rural areas offers then it would be good to really sort it out on a wiki
>page.  The UK countryside user group
>
>>http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/OSM_User_Groups#OSM_UK_Countryside
>_User_Group
>< seems kinda unactive, (is it even exsitent?)  but I would really like to
>use it to make all the tags more open for tagging things in the
>countryside,
>and move away from the citycentric limitations wich are currently standing
>in the way, by gathering a handful of valid opions in order to resolve
>them.
>
>I thourght the yahoo images didnt cover the coutnryside anyway?.  Theres
>none round me for shore, or anywhere I seem to go.

There are large tracts of countryside spilling over from the images covering
the cities. For instance, I'm currently editing the Accrington and
surrounding areas which has a large amount of rural coverage. This is the
image stripe that covers Manchester but extends much further north than the
city itself.

Cheers

Andy