[OSM-talk] db and user statistics update

Marcus Bauer marcus.bauer at gmail.com
Tue Jan 16 15:16:13 GMT 2007

On Tue, 2007-01-16 at 12:20 +0000, Andy Robinson wrote:

> 1. There has been no increase in the trendline for number of registered
> users. [] Ideas on how we might draw in new users would be good.

Writing some good article and getting it on slashdot, digg, del.ici.ous,
lwn, OSNews etc.

Things that would be helpful for promotion:

A slippy map that:

      * survives slashdot (seriously, why not?)
      * shows the current state of the data, without need to switch
        between mapnik and osmarender when zooming in. Thus either
        having Mapnik with recent data or osmarender by default and with
        something visible from zoom 0-12, better than the very faint
        maps.

I have already started writing an article but it would be helpful if the
slippy map would be enduser-friendly before publishing it.

> 5. For those that missed the dropping of the TIGER data, this results in a
> huge drop in the size of the Planet file (which only contains live data).

I'm wondering what the current state of the re-import is? The last
message I found about this subject dates from November, being Bill
asking to dump the TIGER data in order to remove duplicates:

http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/dev/2006-November/002564.html

Can somebody tell what the current state of the project is?

Marcus