[OSM-talk] db and user statistics update

Mikel Maron mikel_maron at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 16 16:35:54 GMT 2007

> > 5. For those that missed the dropping of the TIGER data, this results in a
> > huge drop in the size of the Planet file (which only contains live data).
>
> I'm wondering what the current state of the re-import is? The last
> message I found about this subject dates from November, being Bill
> asking to dump the TIGER data in order to remove duplicates:
>
> http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/dev/2006-November/002564.html
>
> Can somebody tell what the current state of the project is?

My suggestion at the time was to reconsider the strategy of robotically importing this huge
dataset for months on end, and pursue a more stewarded approach to the dataset,
at least initially.

http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk/2006-December/009507.html

A contributor could load in a single counties worth of data, look in detail at the results,
remove the data if some tweak is needed, tweak the import script, reimport, and iterate
until we get good results.

That data will then need finessing, as Tiger is only a starting point of course.

Once the process is iterated under a few different contributors, we'll have something to let
loose. I'd still suggest taking it slowly and under stewardship, with someone taking responsibility
for a state at a time. This would still need coordination to not overload the DB.

There's a WikiProject United States.
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/WikiProject_United_States#Users_interested_in_the_United_States