[OSM-talk] open source gps logger + map viewer?

Mike Collinson mike at ayeltd.biz
Sat Jan 20 06:26:29 GMT 2007

I've written a C# Pocket PC application that logs and exports GPS
data to GPX . It also allows logging of waypoints to the left, centre
and right of the track.  The waypoints can then be exported directly
as OSM nodes along with the correct tags, for example amenity=fuel
for petrol/gas stations.

I am happy to make source available but is not strictly open source
at present.  The GPS parsing / serial driver uses an affordable but
commercial components library.  I've tried to write it in a modular
fashion so that that could be ripped out and replaced with completely
open source libraries/code.  I'm not going to do that personally, but
if someone would like to collaborate, I'd be delighted.  As far as I
can tell there is no freeware or opensource PDA logger available
except for GPSProxy which is not primarily a logger.

Also, if any patient person would like to help me check whether the
binaries will install on other PocketPCs, (I can only check my
Windows Mobile 5 / arm processor iPAQ), I would appreciate that.  I
need to make the waypoint presets user-configurable and improve some
exception handling before making it generally available to OSM
members.  <drum_bang>I'm already using it for OSM mapping and it has
been very useful for recording POIs, traffic lights and side-turns
not explored.</drum_bang>

Mike
Manila

PS displaying live GPS track on top of any background image, such as
an OSM render, is my next but not urgent goal.