[OSM-talk] Newbie question

Joerg Ostertag (OSM Munich/Germany) openstreetmap at ostertag.name
Mon Jan 22 08:54:18 GMT 2007

On Monday 22 January 2007 09:16, Nicola Ranaldo wrote:
> On Monday 22 January 2007 01:47, Robert Copelan wrote:
> [...]
>
> > However I seem to have missed one key point about
> > getting started.  I created a GPX file from my GPS
> > data and uploaded it.  In both the online editor and
> > JOSM I don't seem to be able to connect the track
> > points.  Is it correct that I have to insert a node at
> > each track point?      WOuld have thought that it was
> > possible to use the exact GPS track without having to
> > manually insert nodes.
>
> Hello Robert,
> you may process your gpx with gpsbabel to reduce the number of points, and
> use it to create an osm data layer automagically. Howewer this is
> discouraged when your gpx overlaps an already mapped area, as you may
> duplicate ways, nodes etc.

This is the reason I wrote osmfilter (which in parts also uses gpsbabel). It
also checks against already existing osm-segments and cuts out these from
your newly osm-suggestions. So the chances of duplicates are far less.

--
Jörg (Germany, Munich)

http://www.ostertag.name/
TeamSpeak2: ts2.ostertag.name, user: tweety, Channel: "GPS Drive"
irc://irc.oftc.net/#osm
Tel.: +49 89 420950304