[OSM-talk] cadastre, ways, rendering

Dirk-Lüder Kreie osm-list at deelkar.net
Tue Jan 23 16:52:27 GMT 2007

Marcus Bauer schrieb:
> On Tue, 2007-01-23 at 16:58 +0100, Dirk-Lüder Kreie wrote:
>
>>> Until renderers have artificial intelligence, they will need some help
>>> to make decent maps.
>> yes, that's why there are separate tags like osmarender:renderName=no
>
> That doesn't apply here.

Then use osmarender:renderRef=no
secondly OSM needs a way to put multiple refs of the same class into the
data.

>>> Have a look at this:
>>> http://www.openstreetmap.org/index.html?lat=43.67615439303823&lon=7.207250585123151&zoom=11
>> I don't see the problem.
>
> The multiple display of them same information clutters the map. It is
> unprofessional.

While I agree that a cluttered map looks unprofessional I *strongly*
disagree entering false data ín order to work around rendering issues.

>> Yes you do, because there is no way any software does know these 2 ways
>> belong together
>
> No software needs to know.

Says who?

>> For that Motorway the correct way to tag it would be ref=A8 int_ref=E88
>> not any form of alternating.
>
> The example was wrongly chosen: the actual highway is E80,E74 both at
> the same time. Plus A8. Just look at professional maps: they display the
> ref alternating.

Don't use this as an argument if you do not know the dataset from which
this was created, nor the process in which this was created.

> Unless you are a natural born mapper, you start making your first curves
> and than add nodes or substract nodes until they render fine. Once you
> have experience -which is quickly gained- you know how many nodes to
> put. But that doesn't hide the fact, that making more or less dense
> curves is done to help the renderer.

Actually it helps calculating more accurate travelling distances, while
the rendered map acts as sort-of proofreading.

> That's wrong. It has to be as complete and accurate as necessary for the
> goals: you are not going to put in a node for every house with its
> number because some later application could make use out of it.
>
> It is the balance that counts .

I disagree on where the middle ground lies.

However if you add notes to your ways to the effect that there is data
still to add, so you can, by an automated process search for and
identify all inaccurately tagged roads, that's fine by me, as long as
you don't start an edit war with someone who just wants to enter correct
and complete data.

And please *document* why how and where you do things differently in
case you somehow cannot complete your work once the renderers have
worked out the issues.

Dirk-Lüder "Deelkar" Kreie