[OSM-talk] cadastre, ways, rendering

Robert T Wyatt robert.wyatt at mail.utexas.edu
Tue Jan 23 19:33:23 GMT 2007

Dirk-Lüder Kreie wrote:
> Marcus Bauer schrieb:
>> To avoid this you either add more and more rules to the renderer, ad
>> infinitum, or you help it a bit. You don't loose any information if only
>> one side of a motorway has a ref=A5 key/value.
>
> Yes you do, because there is no way any software does know these 2 ways
> belong together, or it would have to guess, and software that has to
> guess works oftentimes, but sometimes this goes horribly wrong, and that
> could be easily avoided by properly tagging every way.

[not sure if i attributed the quotes properly...]

It seems to me that the only way rendering software could know that those
ways belong together is if they were originally tagged as such. If the
renderer is then able to only label it once in order to avoid crowding on
the page....

There are other places in the programming world where crowding of labels
must be dealt with. Off the top of my head an example would be lilypond (on
sourceforge.org), a music notation program. That project uses the scheme
language; I have no illusions that this project might adopt their methods,
but I hope the idea might help someone figure out a solution.

keep on mapping,
Robert