[OSM-talk] What would you do if...

Sun Jan 28 20:02:03 GMT 2007

Nick W wrote:

> ...you come across a track whilst out walking, which "looks
> like" (from 20
> years experience) a right of way, specifically a 'green lane' - an
> old road
> lined by hedges but taking the form of unsurfaced track. There's
> evidence of
> horse riders using it (hoof prints)
>
> a) Blatantly infringe copyright by copying its status from an
> Ordnance Survey
> map.
>
> b) Copy its status from an online council rights of way map.
> Probably legal to
> copy the status but maybe not.
>
> c) Assume it's a bridleway and tag it as such, with an accompanying
> 'note' tag
> - with a small risk of being hunted down by an irate landowner in
> case you're
> wrong.
>
> d) Assume it's a footway.
>
> e) Don't put it in OSM at all.
>
> I went with c) - comments?

It's an interesting question. To me it's actually a pretty
fundamental question of approach: are we mapping "how things are
meant to be" or "how things are"?

If we're mapping "how they're meant to be", then yes, you have to get
some confirmation of the legal status - a) or b). I would be uneasy
in copyright terms with either: doing it once is 'fair use', but a
whole bunch of OSM contributors doing it is an infringement of
database right.

If we're mapping "how things are", it's clearly c). If horse riders
use it, it's a de facto bridleway. Just as if a UK road has big blue
signs and hard shoulders, it's a motorway, whether or not it has a
Special Roads Order.

I like the second approach better anyway. :)

cheers
Richard