[OSM-talk] Lake District Mapping Week

Nick Whitelegg Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk
Mon Jan 29 18:05:38 GMT 2007

>>The idea of this week will be to try and map a significant amount of one
of
>>the most popular walking areas in England

>Is it most popular relative to its size?  I'm up for mapping a national
>park, but the Lake District is the Largest one, so its jumping in at the
>deep end.  As you said It's very popular walking area, so mapping all the
>footways and bridleways etc would be a very very large job.  Its also
>furthest away for the majory of UK osm users.

True, but people came to the IoW from Germany and Norway, and I'm quite
keen to take part in a mapping event in the Black Forest....

>Peak District is one of the
>best acsess for most I would think, and Moors is the smallest amount of
>roads to map (In terms of density, although there very spread out).

The idea isn't so much to map all of a national park, but to try and do
some comprehensive mapping of a particular area of the national park which
would then (hopefully) encourage further mapping.

I was initially surprised at the Lake District being the biggest - but the
map on the national parks site seems to indicate that this is so. The Peak
District *seems* much bigger but evidently this is not so.

Anyhow I'm really open for doing any of them, preferably one with lots of
paths and the ability to wander semi-'freely', without large tracts of
inaccessible private land. If enough people want to switch park, that
wouldn't be a problem.

Nick