[OSM-talk] License

80n 80n80n at gmail.com
Tue Jan 30 17:24:25 GMT 2007

On 1/30/07, Richard Fairhurst <richard at systemed.net> wrote:

> Within the OSM community, there is no consensus on whether locating
> points on a map creates a derivative work. Some of us (like me) think
> it does. Others (like Raphael, IIRC) think it doesn't. But a case can
> be made for either viewpoint. (In fact, npemap hints at the lack of
> consensus: "There are people who believe that locating a point on a
> map creates a derived work".)
>
> Therefore I would humbly submit that all we need to do is adopt a
> common position on this, as a clarification to the licence: "we do not
> consider that, in identifying the location of a feature by reference
> to other features on OpenStreetMap map or data, you are creating a
> derivative work".

Legally this could be a slippery slope.  IANAL but such a statement would, I
think, permit me to identify the approximate location of street lights (or
white lines or cats eyes) from the location of roads on OpenStreetMap.  I
would be able to license my street-light map however I like, and could then
trivally use it to create a street map.

Tweaking licenses is tricky stuff to get right.

80n

cheers