[OSM-talk] hide ads in unrendered tiles

Andy Robinson Andy_J_Robinson at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Jul 1 09:35:49 BST 2007

I'd like to point out that the ads are not part of the OSM database nor part
of the map tiles, they are simply an extra layer overlay just like pins are
on other mapping site you may use. So the data and the project are not
compromised here. The data is free and untainted in this respect. The issue
is only about whether this form of advertising on our default map rendering
is a good way or not of helping to raise money for OSMF so that it is able
to keep up with the rapid progression being made in contribution. The money
has to come from somewhere, ads are one way of doing it but if others have a
better plan and can implement it then I'd be the first to agree that ads on
the OSM site should go away.

On a practical point though I do think that there is an argument for turning
ads off on the lower zoom levels. It's only when you can read the place
names or see the logical location that they have any real meaning.

Cheers

Andy

Andy Robinson
Andy_J_Robinson at blueyonder.co.uk