[OSM-talk] Advertising

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Sun Jul 1 10:20:26 BST 2007

I meet a number lot of organisations there days who are interested in OSM
and could very likely be a source of funding for it. It's a bit early to
mention names on the list but I am following them up. Some are interested in
supporting a free map base because they are currently paying for it, some
are interested in supporting community based transport stuff, others have a
need for an editable map base because they are currently using maps that
they can't edit or add information related to their interests to.

I suggest we produce a budget for the organisation and then go 'cap-in-hand'
to these organisations for support.

Regarding these particular adverts, I have two concerns: Firstly I don't
think the look-and-feel of the site of the site should change without
consultation. Secondly I really don't believe that pop-ups will be a
significant source of revenue. Also, adverts may put users off; if you put
house ad's up from one source will you not alienate other estate agents and
possibly other groups of users. Personally I will avoid directing traffic to
sites that show adverts.

To answer to Steve's question, yes I will be happy to work with OSM on
fund-raising.

Regards,

Peter