[OSM-talk] advertising

80n 80n80n at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 12:20:11 BST 2007

On 7/2/07, Christoph Eckert <ce at christeck.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > That is what I distilled from 80n's post. There are, of course, some
> > problems with this approach - the foundation web site at
> > www.openstreetmap.org also hosts crucial parts of the project
> > infrastructure, namely the API and central database, but these cannot
> > simply be replaced by someone else's. But if you manage to make the
> > distinction in your head and think of www.openstreetmap.org not as
> > "our" but as "their" web site, then it suddenly becomes less
> > important what's on there, doesn't it?
>
> from this POV (distinguishing between the OSM community and OSMF), OSMF
> then has "hijacked" the openstreetmap.org domain at some point in time.
> Why did OSMF not register an extra domain like osmf.org for their
> purposes? Can anyone savvy comment when openstreetmap.org was
> transmogrified from the community to the foundation?

I think it is better to use the term custodian rather than hijacker :)

Prior to the Foundation the domain was owned by Steve personally and he
exercised control over it as a benevolent dictator (he still does but
ownership will move to the Foundation when it is next renewed).

One of the arguments for establishing the Foundation at the time was that it
would provide a more democratic control over the unique assets that the
project relies on, namely the servers and the domain name.

Cheers,