[OSM-talk] advertising

Nick Black nickblack1 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 15:07:55 BST 2007

On 7/2/07, Christoph Eckert <ce at christeck.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > This is silly. For long term sustainability the domain (and anything
> > else needed by the project) has to be "owned" by a legal entity that
> > is not a person. Consider the "owner gets hit by a bus" scenario.
>
> agreed.
>
> [...]
>
> > I honestly don't see why OSMF needs a website at all, but if it does
> > it would probably be good to have a seperate one (run by the same
> > servers, ofcourse :) ). btw, Openstreetmap.nl was registered directly
> > by Vrijschrift.
>
> The basic idea is that openstreetmap.org is the main page of an
> international project, not a national OSMF. What gets placed there or
> even not should therefore be decided by the community, not a national
> foundation.
>
> I'd not complain about the ads if OSMF would have a national domain like
> openstretmap.co.uk. If we had further national foundations who run
> something like openstreetmap.fr, I'd not complain if they placed ads in
> their maps.
>
> Steve founded and grew this cool project under the name and domain
> openstreetmap.org. It's OK if it now gets assigned to the national OSMF

OSMF was never intended to be the 'UK voice' or 'UK whatever' of OSM.
If it has become that way, its because there is little interest in the
Foundation from people outside of the UK.

In actual fact, we looked into setting up the Foundation from an
offshore base - investigating the Isle of Man and maybe some other
places.  In the end, we chose the UK through convenience - two of the
three officers were based in the UK, and you've got to have a bank
account somewhere.  Additionally, the secretary of the Foundation,
Imi, is German.

How do the list feel about holding an AGM, to discuss these and other
foundation related issues at some point soon?

> as it is not possible to found an international foundation. But then
> the OSMF should IMO resist the temptation to use it as their own
> homepage and to place ads on the map without any community
> consideration.
>
> Just my two cents,
>
> ce

Nick Black