[OSM-talk] OpenStreetMap Foundation comparison

Dan Karran dan at karran.net
Mon Jul 2 16:43:43 BST 2007

(that other thread was hurting my head ;)

For anyone who's interested in a comparison and wondering the kind of
things the OpenStreetMap Foundation will be doing, I think the Drupal
Association <http://association.drupal.org/> is quite comparable.

It's led by one guy (who owns the domain, owns the Drupal trademark,
etc) but it has a board too, which helps with fundraising,
infrastructure, events and all that kind of stuff. It's also
registered in only one country, but has a very large international
community and potential for national organisations to fall underneath
it.

At the end of the day though, they're just there to help the community
out, to guide it along, not to take control over everything. I'm sure
OSMF will be working in a very similar way. It's there to protect us,
not to steal our data, divert the domain, or anything else bad.

Anyway, just wanted to share that, for anyone who's interested in
reading more. They also have a heap of FAQs and things on the site
that are likely to be of interest.

Cheers,
Dan

--