[OSM-talk] OpenStreetMap Foundation comparison

Rodrigo Moya rodrigo at gnome-db.org
Tue Jul 3 11:09:16 BST 2007

On Mon, 2007-07-02 at 17:43 +0200, Dan Karran wrote:
> (that other thread was hurting my head ;)
>
> For anyone who's interested in a comparison and wondering the kind of
> things the OpenStreetMap Foundation will be doing, I think the Drupal
> Association <http://association.drupal.org/> is quite comparable.
>
> It's led by one guy (who owns the domain, owns the Drupal trademark,
> etc) but it has a board too, which helps with fundraising,
> infrastructure, events and all that kind of stuff. It's also
> registered in only one country, but has a very large international
> community and potential for national organisations to fall underneath
> it.
>
> At the end of the day though, they're just there to help the community
> out, to guide it along, not to take control over everything. I'm sure
> OSMF will be working in a very similar way. It's there to protect us,
> not to steal our data, divert the domain, or anything else bad.
>
> Anyway, just wanted to share that, for anyone who's interested in
> reading more. They also have a heap of FAQs and things on the site
> that are likely to be of interest.

the GNOME Foundation (http://foundation.gnome.org) might be also a good
example to look at. The big difference with what you said about Drupal
association is that it's not led by anyone, but has a board (elected
every year by all foundation members) and also has a company board,
where companies interested in GNOME are represented.
--
Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo at gnome-db.org>