[OSM-talk] advertising

Nick Black nickblack1 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 17:33:26 BST 2007

On 7/2/07, Christoph Eckert <ce at christeck.de> wrote:
> > People seem to be fixating on the point that
> > because the Foundation is registered in the UK then it's a UK
> > organization
>
> that might be a point, but I guess this issue can be communicated.
>
> Currently OSMF *appears* to be an elitary closed british club, even that
> it *intends the opposite*. Examples:
>
> * It's impossible to get an account on our servers for external
> developers. This should IMO be decided by the project's developers, not
> by the board members. Set up a web form for one or two weeks, post an
> announcement on the dev list and let the developers vote. If the board
> votes, it is obvious that OSMF tries to control the project's further
> development, sorry

This isn't true.  Nick Hill controls access to dev accounts.  He is
not an OSMF officer.  Its equally hard for anyone to get a dev
account.  Nick isn't cherry picking people based on their
location/membership or not of OSMF.

> * The appearance of the project's main page should also decided by a web
> form and public vote. Someone will design or create suggestions, then
> let the community decide. Ads on the map is a very sensitive topic,
> thus it must not be decided by board members only

This is an idealistic standpoint.  Do you really mean to appearance,
or do you mean the inclusion of things that you are
ideologically/morally opposed to?

> * The database doesn't get replicated to balance the server load.
> Additionally it would allow other people to do nasty things with the
> project's data, *and* it would be a testimonial that OSMF does *not*
> want to control the data. A weekly planet file dump is not sufficient.
> Unfortunately, a server replication has been denied this spring :(
>
> * [you name it]
>
> It would be cool if OSMF would actively develop further ideas how to
> avoid the impression mentioned above. Then it can attract more people
> from outside the UK.

For starters: Free and then discounted places for oversees visitors.
Or, people like Steve and Etienne attending OSM events in
Canada,US,Netherlands,Germany and Denmark.

> HTH & cheers,
>
> ce

Nick Black