[OSM-talk] advertising

Chris Fleming me at chrisfleming.org
Mon Jul 2 20:02:22 BST 2007

Christoph Eckert wrote:
>> People seem to be fixating on the point that
>> because the Foundation is registered in the UK then it's a UK
>> organization
>>

> that might be a point, but I guess this issue can be communicated.

So you choose to assume the worst? Surely the more likely answer is the
Foundation is on it's first steps to ensuring that the infrastructure is
not at the mercy of a single person.

I don't think that it's productive to assume the worst.
> Currently OSMF *appears* to be an elitary closed british club, even that
> it *intends the opposite*. Examples:

Blimy, it's a bit of a conclusion to jump to. Aside from the current
lack of documentation, the irc transcripts from the initial meetings
were open and it's fairly obvious to me that membership is open (subject
to a small fee).

All three officers are all open to election on a regular basis; I can't
really see this as a closed "old boys club".

Why not join, and see how this develops, otherwise the community remains
open to all and seems to make most of the decisions.

> * It's impossible to get an account on our servers for external
> developers. This should IMO be decided by the project's developers, not
> by the board members. Set up a web form for one or two weeks, post an
> announcement on the dev list and let the developers vote. If the board
> votes, it is obvious that OSMF tries to control the project's further
> development, sorry
>
> * The appearance of the project's main page should also decided by a web
> form and public vote. Someone will design or create suggestions, then
> let the community decide. Ads on the map is a very sensitive topic,
> thus it must not be decided by board members only
>
> * The database doesn't get replicated to balance the server load.
> Additionally it would allow other people to do nasty things with the
> project's data, *and* it would be a testimonial that OSMF does *not*
> want to control the data. A weekly planet file dump is not sufficient.
> Unfortunately, a server replication has been denied this spring :(
>
> * [you name it]

As far as I can tell most of these things are too some degree  done by
the community. Database replication needs hardware that doesn't exist as
well as someone to set up and test this.

If the appearance of the front page was left open then it would never
change.
> It would be cool if OSMF would actively develop further ideas how to
> avoid the impression mentioned above. Then it can attract more people
> from outside the UK.
I don't think that there is a UK/not UK problem here.....

The Foundation hasn't done any promotion work to anyone aside from when
it was initially set up and as part of the SOTM registration. I suspect
that most of the 30 members who didn't join as part of the SOTM were
initial members?

But as I said, lets wait and see how the Foundation works out. In my
opinion, the right steps were made in moving the "infrastructure" out of
the control of a single person and setting up a organisation.

Lets try a little trust as see what happens.

Cheers
Chris